Friday, 14 August 2026

When Every Voice Gets a Say

 

Remember the phrase 'too many chefs spoil the broth'? The same can be applied to stories ...

FROM MY DESK 📖

It's amazing how many writers can end up with a finished manuscript that they never intended to write - myself included. 

As writers, we're constantly surrounded by opinions. 

A throwaway comment from years ago.

Advice from a writing book.

A social media post insisting there's only one 'correct' way to tell a story.

A well-meaning friend who doesn't read your genre.

None of them are sitting beside you at your desk. And yet, somehow, they've all found a way onto the page.

Over the years, I've spoken with many writers who have experienced this. Their manuscripts become crowded with outside opinions - what they should write, how they should structure a story, or what they should change to make it more successful. 

Sometimes, those voices become so loud that they drown out the most important one. Their own.

This doesn't mean feedback isn't valuable. In fact, thoughtful feedback is one of the most powerful tools a writer can have during editing. 

But good feedback should help you understand your story more clearly, not make you lose sight of why you wanted to tell it. 

I've had to remind myself of this while editing my own novel too. There have been moments where I've questioned whether I was making the 'right' choice, only to realise I was trying to follow someone else's idea of what the story should be rather than listening to what my story actually needed.

So when you're faced with advice, criticism, or conflicting opinions, try asking yourself:

Ask yourself: does this strengthen the story I'm trying to tell?

If the answer is 'yes', embrace it. If the answer is 'no', it's okay to let that advice go.

Not every opinion deserves a permanent place in your manuscript. The best edits don't come from trying to please everyone.

They come from learning, growing, and trusting yourself enough to recognise what serves your story and what doesn't. Because, while many people can offer advice about your writing, only you can tell your story.


EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️

Earlier this week, a client wondered out loud: why does editing feel harder than writing? 

This is what I told them: writing invites you to imagine. Editing asks you to evaluate.

When you're drafting, your brain is focused on creating ideas and following your curiosity. During editing, it switches gears entirely, looking for inconsistencies, weaknesses, and opportunities to improve. That shift takes more mental energy, which is why editing can feel so much harder.

The good news is that feeling challenged doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. It means you're using a different set of skills to transform your first draft into the story you wanted to tell.


POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨

Effort is data, not a verdict.

Trying and struggling doesn't mean you're bad at something - it means you're learning. Growth-oriented thinking reframes effort as information.

Shift your mindset to: 'what did this attempt to teach me?' 


If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: feedback is valuable - but your story still needs your voice.

Did this experience resonate with you? Have you ever noticed someone else's thoughts take over your story? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to hear from you!

Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.

Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Taking a Hiatus!

I'm taking some much needed time away to rest and reset ...