Tuesday, 7 July 2026

Editing Shouldn't Chase Perfection


This past week made me realise something I'd been overlooking for years ...

FROM MY DESK 📖

Not in a manuscript. In myself.

Somewhere along the way, writing quietly stopped being something I did because I love stories. Instead, it became tangled up with expectations - writing the 'right' thing, improving quickly, wondering whether every chapter was good enough. 

It took a surprising amount of reflection to realise I'd drifted away from the reason I started writing in the first place. 

As a child, I wasn't trying to write a bestseller. I wasn't worrying about reviews, algorithms, or whether someone might think my ideas were silly. 

I just loved stories.

This realisation has changed the way I think about writing - and, perhaps more importantly, the way I think about editing.

As an editor, I'm often associated with polishing, correcting, and refining. Those things matter, but good editing isn't about squeezing the life out of a story until it's perfect in a technical sense.

It's about protecting the spark that made someone write their story in the first place. 

Readers rarely fall in love with flawless prose. They fall in love with stories that feel alive.

Sometimes, the best thing we can do as writers is stop trying to impress everyone else and start writing for the person who first picked up a notebook simply because they couldn't keep the story inside any longer. 


EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️

Today someone asked me: why do revisions never seem to end? 

If revision feels endless, it's often not a discipline problem, but rather an order problem. Try starting with big-picture issues (worldbuilding, character, plot) first, then work your way down. 

Remember to take breaks and track your progress to keep yourself motivated.

Editing this way saves time, energy, and a lot of frustration.


POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨

Progress beats perfection - especially when your motivation is running low.

Small wins create momentum. Waiting to feel 'ready' delays the progress that builds your confidence. 

Shift your mindset to: 'what's the smallest version of this I can finish today?'


If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: your draft doesn't need to be perfect, even in editing - it just needs to exist. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Did my story resonate with you? Have you experienced something similar, or do you have a different approach? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.

Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Taking a Hiatus!

I'm taking some much needed time away to rest and reset ...