There's a strange pressure that comes with writing a novel ...
FROM MY DESK 📖
We're often encouraged to share the exciting milestones - the first draft finished, the publishing deal signed, the final polished manuscript ready to send into the world.
But what about everything in between?
The messy middle. The uncerain drafts. The chapters that need reshaping. The moments where you stare at your manuscript and wonder whether you're actually making progress at all.
That part of the process rarely gets talked about ... and I can understand why.
Editing is vulnerable. It asks us to look closely at something we've poured our imagination, time, and heart into - and then question what needs to change.
For a long time, I kept my own editing process tucked away. I wanted to share the finished version, the neat before-and-after transformation, rather than the complicated reality of getting there.
But this year, I'm choosing something different.
I'm returning to my own novel edits and letting myself be seen in the middle of the process - not just when everything is polished and complete.
Because editing isn't a straight path from 'bad draft' to 'perfect book'.
It's a process of curiosity, problem-solving, and learning to understand the story you're trying to tell.
And that's something I see in every manuscript I work on with writers.
Behind every story is a person figuring things out - experimenting, questioning, rewriting, and slowly uncovering the version of the story they've been trying to reach.
So, if you're editing your own story right now, feeling uncertain, stuck, or overwhelmed, you're not alone.
The messy middle is not a sign you're failing. It's where the real work happens.
EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️
Over the weekend, a writing friend asked me: why do some chapter endings feel dull?
Chapter endings aren't about wrapping things up - they're about pulling the reader forward (something I wish I had known sooner).
Look for moments of uncertainty, revelation, or decision, and let the chapter end where things feel most unstable. That discomfort is what makes readers turn the page.
That said, softer endings have their place and are sometimes required. Make sure to choose the right chapter ending for where in your story it falls.
POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨
Rest is part of the creative process, not a reward for finishing.
Did you know that insight and problem-solving skills improve after rest? It is neurological, not indulgence.
Shift your mindset to: 'what kind of rest helps my ideas breathe?'
If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: keep going, even when the path feels unclear.
I hope that by sharing my editing journey, you'll feel more confident navigating yours. Share where you are in your journey below - I'd love to hear from you!
Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.
Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿

No comments:
Post a Comment