Ever looked at your manuscript and wondered if you've left it too long? ...
FROM MY DESK 📖
Maybe life got in the way. Maybe you needed a break. Or, perhaps you started doubting whether the story was still worth returning to.
It can be easy to see time away from a manuscript as wasted - as proof that you've fallen behind or that your story will never become what you hoped.
But what if the opposite is true?
Sometimes the distance between drafts is where some of the most important growth happens.
I know this because my own novel took the long way around. What began as a university project became a years-long lesson in patience, craft, and trust. There were pauses I didn't plan for and moments where writing had to take a back seat to everything else life brought my way.
For a long time, I saw those years as something I'd lost. Now, I see them differently.
While my manuscript waited, I didn't stand still. I grew as a writer. I learnt more about storytelling, developed my editing skills, worked with other authors, and gained the perspective I needed to return to my own story with fresh eyes.
And that's something I see time and time again when working with writers.
A manuscript is not frozen in time while you're away from it. Neither are you.
Every book carries the knowledge, experiences, and lessons of the person who wrote it. When you return to a story after months or even years, you aren't comng back to the same manuscript with the sam understanding - you're bringing everything you've learnt with you.
Sometimes the best thing you can do for a story is give it room to breathe.
Distance can reveal problems you didn't see before. Time can help you understand your characters more deeply. Growth can give you the tools to finally shape the story you've always envisioned.
So, if your manuscript has been waiting patiently in a drawer, don't assume you've failed it. You might be returning to it with exactly what it needed all along.
EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️
This week, a client asked me: why do some chapter openings feel slow?
When a chapter starts too gently, it can break the momentum you worked hard to build.
Try opening the chapter where something is already happening, a choice is being made, or tension is in motion. You can then orientate the reader as you go.
POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨
Comparison drains joy, but information can be useful.
Comparing ourselves to others hurts when it attacks our identity. However, when it informs strategy, it can be truly helpful.
Shift your mindset to: 'what can I learn here without judging myself?'
If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: a manuscript isn't a problem to fix. It's a story to understand.
Have you experienced a moment of clarity that truly helped you as a writer? Would you do things differently? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.
Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿

No comments:
Post a Comment