Every editing session has two conversations ...
FROM MY DESK 📖
One happens on the page. The other happens in our heads.
As we read through our manuscripts, there's a constant stream of commentary.
'How did I miss that?'
'This scene is a mess.'
'I should be better than this by now.'
For many writers, that second conversation is far harsher than the first. It certainly was for me.
While editing my own novel, I realised my inner voice sounded nothing like the one I use with the writers I work with. Where I'd respond to a client's challenge with curiousity and encouragement, I met my own with criticism and frustration.
It made me wonder: if this appraoch wouldn't help another writer grow, why did I expect it to help me?
So I started changing the questions I asked myself.
Instead of, 'why did I write this so badly?' I began asking, 'what is this scene trying to achieve?'
Instead of assuming I'd failed, I became curious about what the story needed next.
Then, something surprising happened. Editing became calmer, my focus improved, and the work itself became easier to untangle.
Not because I'd lowered my standards, but because I'd stopped wasting energy fighting myself.
That's one of the biggest lessons editing my own novel has taught me. Editing isn't about punishing a manuscript until it's better, it's about understanding it well enough to help it become what it was always capable of being.
And perhaps we deserve to offer ourselves that same patience along the way.
EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️
A recent conversation I had with a writer friend led to the question: why do I feel like starting over with my story?
When you spot several problems at once, your brain naturally wants the quickest escape. Starting over feels like a clean slate - a chance to fix everything in one go. But more often than not, your manuscript doesn't need rewriting. It needs refining.
Your first draft already contains the characters, ideas, and moments that inspired you to write the story in the first place. Editing is about uncovering their full potential, not throwing them away.
Before you open a blank page, ask yourself: can I strengthen what's already here? More often than not, the answer is yes.
POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨
Your thoughts aren't always facts.
Our brains are wired to notice problems before possibilities. Just because a thought appears doesn't mean it's true.
Shift your mindset to: 'is this fact, or is this fear? What is the purpose of this thought?'
If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: the voice you bring to revision matters just as much as the technical skills you use.
Did my story resonate with you? Have you experienced something similar, or do you have a different approach? I'd love to hear your thoughts - comment below!
Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.
Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿

No comments:
Post a Comment