Friday, 28 August 2026

The Skill You're Missing (Part 1)


Figuring out what needs your attention next ...

FROM MY DESK 📖

Sometimes something doesn't seem like it's meant for us until we look at it a little more closely. 

I was reminded of this recently when I watched a free online webinar about why writers struggle to get their novels written and publishable. 

The premise sounded great, and it promised to help fix the problem. As a writer myself, I was excited!

I listened intently and made extensive notes, but the longer I watched the more I realised that a lot of the material wasn't particularly new to me. As an editor, I've spent years studying story structure, analysing manuscripts, identifying weaknesses and helping writers understand why something isn't working and what they can do about it. 

I've also studied Creative Writing at university level and spent over a year working with a book coach, so I already had familiarity with the ideas being discussed. I still watched the whole thing though. Just in case. 

When it finished, I was disappointed. It felt like I'd wasted an hour. But then I sat with it for a while. 

I started thinking about the information differently - not as a writer looking for something I hadn't heard before, but as an editor asking: what here could actually help the writers I work with?

That's when I realised there was more to take from the webinar than I'd initially thought.

One of the most interesting concepts was the distinction between KIND and WICKED fields. On a basic level:

  • KIND fields receive feedback quickly, consistently, and accurately, meaning practice reliably builds skill.
  • WICKED fields receive inconsistent or inaccurate feedback that can take a long time to arrive. Practice doesn't necessarily build skill reliably, meaning people can become more confident without necessarily becoming more skilled. 
Creative writing is considered one of the more WICKED fields because knowing whether something is working isn't always straightforward. 

A writer might spend months or years practising without receiving useful feedback - or receive feedback that conflicts from one person to the next.

The webinar suggested five conditions that can make creative writing more like a KIND field:
  1. Practise specific skills - deliberately work on individual skills rather than trying to improve everything at once.
  2. Diagnose to a standard - measure your work against established professional standards.
  3. Expert analysis - have someone experienced assess your writing against those standards.
  4. Short feedback loops - receive feedback regularly, put it into practice, then receive more feedback and repeat the process.
  5. A clear roadmap for growth - know which skills you're developing and in what order.

As an editor, I actually think these are excellent principles.

They're also a good explanation of why professional editing can be so valuable: an experienced editor isn't simply telling you whether they liked your story. They're helping you identify why something isn't working, what skill sits underneath the problem, and how you might approach it differently. 

But there was one thing missing: what if you can't afford it?

This was where the webinar started to feel a little sales-y to me. Don't get me wrong: I understanding and appreciate wanting or needing to advocate for your product or service. But once the webinar began moving towards a sales pitch, I found myself engaging less with what was being said. 

The irony is that I think the five conditions themselves are genuinely useful. And while professional editors, book coaches, and courses are fantastic resources, not everyone has the financial means to access them. 

That, I realised, was what the webinar was missing and perhaps why the sales pitch didn't sit quite right with me. It focused on what writers could gain from professional support, but didn't explore what writers could do if that support wasn't financially accessible to them. 

As an editor, and a fellow writer, that's the part I wanted to explore further. Because not being able to afford professional help right now shouldn't mean you have to stop developing your skills.

Check back here next Tuesday to find out how you can develop your skills when professional support is not accessible. 


EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️

Earlier this week, a writer friend asked me: am I ruining my voice by changing too much in my story?

Editing can feel like you're sanding away the very things that make your writing yours. But changing a sentence or a paragraph doesn't automatically mean changing your voice. Good editing helps you understand what makes your voice distinctive so you can make intentional choices about what stays and what needs to change.

Your voice isn't hidden in every original word. It's in the way you see the world, tell your story, and make your choices as a writer. Editing isn't about making your writing sound like someone else - its about making your voice clearer.


POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨

Someone else writing faster changes nothing about your story.

Comparison can make it feel like creativity is a race. It isn't. Readers are looking for voices, not winners.

Shift your mindset to: 'no one else can write my story my way and there are enough readers for every story.' 


If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: you don't have to become a better writer all at once - identify the skill that needs your attention, practise it deliberately, and build from there.

Did this post resonate with you? If it helped you, taught you something, or even if you disagree, let me know in the comments below - I'd love to hear from you!

Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.

Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Taking a Hiatus!

I'm taking some much needed time away to rest and reset ...