One of the hardest parts of editing isn't spotting plot holes or rewriting dialogue ...
FROM MY DESK 📖
One day, you're excited to open your manuscript.
The next, you're convinced it's terrible.
The characers feel flat. The dialogue sounds awkward. The plot suddenly seems full of holes you swear weren't there yesterday.
If you've ever found yourself wondering whether you've somehow forgotten how to write overnight, you're not alone.
I've experienced that shift while editing my own novel, and for a long time, I believed it meant something had gone wrong.
That I'd lost my touch or that the story wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
But over time, I've realised something different is happening. The manuscript hasn't suddenly become worse. I've become better at seeing it.
As our editing skills grow, so does our ability to notice weakness we would have overlooked before. What once felt like a finished chapter now reveals opportunities to deepen a character, tighten the pacing, or strengthen the emotional impact.
That can feel uncomfortable.
Sometimes it even feels discouraging.
But it's also a sign that you're developing as a writer.
Editing isn't just about learning technical skills like structure, dialogue, or pacing. It's about learning how to navigate the emotions that come with seeing your work more clearly.
The frustration. The self-doubt. The temptation to believe the story is broken simply because you can finally recognise what needs improving.
The next time you catch yourself thinking, this draft is awful, pause for a moment before believing it.
Ask yourself a different question instead: have I become a better editor than I was the last time I read this?
Becuase sometimes the discomfort isn't telling you your story is failing. It's reminding you that your craft is growing and that's exactly what good editing is meant to do.
EDITING TIP OF THE DAY ✍️
A writer friend and I were talking the other day when they asked: why does editing feel so intimidating?
During the editing process, we see our work clearly and that clarity can be uncomfortable. It feels like proof we failed.
It is in fact the opposite. Editing our work is proof we're capable of making our writing and our stories better. Each revision is evidence you can spot problems, solve them, and strengthen your writing. That's how real, lasting confidence is built.
POSITIVE MINDSET PICK UP ✨
You don't need confidence to start or continue: you need curiosity.
Confidence tends to follow action, not the other way around. Curiosity lowers emotional stakes and invites play, which becomes action.
Shift your mindset to: 'what happens if I try this, just to see?'
If you remember just one thing from today's post, let it be this: your manuscript didn't suddenly get worse - your eye got sharper.
Did this help you? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to hear from you!
Every story starts with a single spark, and every writer gets stuck from time to time. Keep showing up. Keep experimenting. Keep telling the stories only you can tell.
Until next time, may your stories grow wild, your edits be kind, and your brambles always lead to somewhere worth exploring 🌿

No comments:
Post a Comment